Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Nursery Rhyme Storytimes

Nursery rhymes are an essential part of every child's development.  Not only are they a big part of pop culture, but rhyming is very useful to children, and I think that you would prefer to teach your children this skill, and not rely on Rhianna to do it for you.  With that in mind, here is my story time unit on nursery rhymes.

Tomorrow I will be back with pictures of the crafts.  And as always, if you have questions, just email me at misstiffreads@gmail.com

Happy reading!


Where Has My Little Dog Gone?

Opening Song:  Hello Everybody

Opening Rhyme:  Where Has My Little Dog Gone?

Book:  Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion

Rhyme:  Make a Mud Cake/This is the Way We Wash
       Make a mud cake, make a mud cake
       In the mud, in the mud
       Digging, scooping, patting, digging, scooping, patting
       Just feels fun, just feel fun
       This is the way we wash our hands,
       Wash our hands, wash our hands
       This is the way we wash hands
       Early in the morning.

Book:  Taking a Bath with the Dog and Other Things that Make Me Happy by Scott Menchin

Song:  I Love Dogs from Crazy Hair Day by Barney Saltzberg

Book:  Puppies, Puppies, Puppies by Susan Meyers

Rhyme:  My Little Puppy
       My little puppy’s name is Rags
       He eats so much his tummy sags
       His ears flip flop and his tail wig wags
       And when he walks his hips zig zap
       Flip flop, wig wag, zig zag

Book:  Best Pet of All by David LaRochelle

Rhyme:  Love Your Pets
       Love, love, love your pets
       Love them everyday
       Give them food and water too
       Let them run and play

Closing Rhyme:  Thank You Clap

Craft Time:  Dog Magnets


Here We Go Looby Loo

Opening Song:  Hello Everybody

Opening Rhyme:  Here We Go Looby Loo

Book:  Bubble Bath Pirates by Jarrett J Krosoczka

Rhyme:  Trouble in My Bubble Bath
       There’s trouble in my bubble bath.
       It’s time to disembark
       Beneath the soap and subs there swims
       The cleanest, meanest shark

Book:  Rabbit Ears by Amber Stewart

Song:  Wishy Washy Washer Woman

Book:  Mrs. Wishy-Washy’s Farm by Joy Cowley

Rhyme:   Animals on the Farm (tune:  Wheels on the Bus)
       The cows on the farm go moo, moo, moo
       Moo, moo, moo, Moo, moo, moo
       The cows on the farm go moo, moo, moo
       All day long!
       (pigs-oink, duck-quack)

Book:  Squeaky Clean by Simon Puttock

Rhyme:  Bathtub Toys Rhyme
       Little Duck, Little Duck, what do you see?
       I see a squeaky fish looking at me.
       Squeaky Fish, Squeaky Fish, what do you see?
       I see a sailboat looking at me.
       Sailboat, Sailboat, what do you see?
       I see a clean child looking at me.
       Clean Child, Clean Child, what do you see?
       I see a Little Duck, Squeaky Fish, Soap Crayon,
       and a Sailboat, that’s what I see!

Closing Rhyme:  Thank You Clap

Craft Time:  Bathtub Sailboat


Hey Diddle Diddle
Opening Song:  Hello Everybody

Opening Rhyme:  Hey Diddle Diddle
        Hey diddle, diddle, the cat and the fiddle
       The cow jumped over the moon.
       The little dog laughed to see such a sport
       And the dish ran away with the spoon.

Book:  Two Cool Cows by Toby Speed

Rhyme:  Airplane
      The airplane has great big wings
      It’s propeller spins around and sings VVVVV
      The airplane goes up, the airplane goes down.
      The airplane flies high all over town.

Book:  Cows Can’t Fly by David Milgrim

Song:  Moon Moon Moon by Laurie Berkner

Book:  Over the Moon by Rachel Vail

Rhyme:   I went to the farm
      I went to the farm the other day
      I saw a cow across the way
      And what do you think I heard it say?
      Moo, moo, moo, moo, moo!

Book:  I Took the Moon for a Walk by Carolyn Curtis & Alison Jay

Rhyme:  Sleep Baby Sleep
      Sleep baby sleep
      Your father tends the sheep
      Your mother shakes the dreamland tree
      And from it fall sweet dreams for thee
      Sleep baby sleep, sleep baby sleep
      Sleep baby sleep
      Our cottage vale is deep
      The little lamb is on the green
      With snowy fleece so soft and clean
      Sleep baby sleep, sleep baby sleep.

Closing Rhyme:  Thank You Clap

Craft Time:  Cow over the Moon craft



Humpty Dumpty

Opening Song:  Hello Everybody

Opening Rhyme:  Humpty Dumpty

Book:  Humpty Dumpty by Daniel Kirk

Rhyme:  Where’s Humpty Dumpty?
      Humpty Dumpty, where did you fall?
      Are you behind the (color) wall?

Book:  Little Lumpty by Miko Imai

Song:  Fixin’ Humpty Dumpty
      I stand up straight and I stand up tall
      I’m walk-walk-walking across the wall
      My knees get weak and I start to crawl
     Then I shudder and start to fall.
     Chorus:
      Fallin’ down again
      Fallin’ on all the king’s men
      All the king’s horses and the king too
      Couldn’t put me together, can you?
     Don’t you worry, you’ve got it made
     All you need is a big bandaid
     You fell down and I do too.
     What you’ve got is a big boo-boo
     Chorus Again

Book:  Eggbert, the Slightly Cracked Egg by Tom Ross and Rex Barron

Rhyme:  I Can Paint
      I can paint, how about you?
      I can paint, how about you?
      I can paint, how about you?
      Paint on the floor like I do!
      (paint on your arm, leg, stomach, etc)

Book:  The Cow that Laid an Egg by Andy Cutbill

Activity:  Walk on the Wall

Closing Rhyme:  Thank You Clap

Craft Time:  Take Home Humpty Dumpty




Muffin Man

Opening Song:  Hello Everybody

Opening Rhyme:  Muffin Man

Big Book:  If You Give a Moose a Muffin by Laura Jaffe Numeroff

Game:  Moose See, Moose Do

Book:  What’s Cookin’ by Nancy Coffelt

Song:  Cookie Bakers of the Night by Laurie Berkner

Book:  Mr. Cookie Baker by Monica Wellington

Rhyme:   Make a Cake
      Mix the batter, stir the batter
      Shake some flower in.
      Mix the batter, stir the batter
      Pour it in a tin.
      Sprinkle on some raisins
      And put it in to bake.
      Open up the oven door
      And out comes the cake

Book:  To Market, To Market by Anne Miranda

Activity:  Food Type Match 

Closing Rhyme:  Thank You Clap

Craft Time:  Mother Goose Village Map




Itsy Bitsy Spider

Opening Song:  Hello Everybody

Opening Rhyme:  Itsy Bitsy Spider
      The itsy bitsy spider crawled up the water spout
      Down came the rain and washed the spider out
      Out came the sun and dried up all the rain
      And the itsy bitsy spider crawled up the spout again.

Book:  The Eensy Weensy Spider by Mary Ann Hoberman

Rhyme:  Spiders Spin
      At early morn, the spiders spin
      And by and by a fly drops in
     And when they call the spiders say
     Take off your things and stay all day!

Book:  The Roly-Poly Spider by Jill Sardegna

Song:    Spider on the Floor by Raffi

Book:  Aaaaaaagghh! A Spider by Lydia Monks

Rhyme:   The Spider in the Web  (Tune Farmer in the Dell)
      The spider in the web, the spider in the web
      Spin, spin oh watch him spin.  The spider in the web.
      The spider eats a fly, the spider eats a fly
      Spin, spin oh watch him spin the spider eats a fly.
      (substitute other insects)

Closing Rhyme:  Thank You Clap












No comments:

Post a Comment