Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Silly Stories

Summer time at a public library is insanity.  But, my storytimes would actually be simpler.  I remember that I didn't have registration and I often had brothers and sisters outside of my target age range of 3-5, so I felt like I could be more flexible.  So, for the rest of this week, I'll put up one storytime per post from a summer session.

First up:  Silly Stories

This is a really loose theme.  Anything strange, funny, and absurd makes the cut.  Then, add in rhymes to go with whatever book, or any rhyme that is funny, and you've got yourself a storytime.  As always, for more information on any books, songs, or rhymes, just email me at misstiffreads@gmail.com


Silly Stories
Preschool Storytime


Opening Song:  Bendable, Stretchable by Georgiana Stewart
Opening Rhyme: My Hands
Make my hands go up, make my hands go down.
Make my hands go to the side, then go round and round.
Dance them on my shoulders, dance them on my head.
Dance them on belly, now put them to bed!


Book:  Alpha Oops:  The Day Z Went First by Alethea Kontis

Rhyme:  C is for Cookie
C is for cookie, that’s good enough for me
C is for cookie, that’s good enough for me
C is for cookie, that’s good enough for me
Oh, cookie, cookie, cookie starts with C
--Now add other words and their first letter.  
It helps to have a picture or prop for this song so children can identify the next object.
B is for Bunny, I is for Ice Cream, S is for Sunny
Z is for zebra, P is for penguin
Book:  King Bidgood’s in the Bathtub by Audrey Wood

Rhyme:  Have you ever gone fishing?
Have you ever gone fishin on a bright and sunny day
With all the little fishies swimming up and down the bay?
With your hands in your pockets and your pockets in your pants?
And all the little fishies doing the hutchie-cutchie dance?

Book:  When Dinosaurs Came with Everything by Elise Broach

Rhyme:  Chay-Chay Koo-Lay
--This is a Swahili version of Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes-at least that's what I was told. Have the children repeat after you.
Chay-chay koo-lay (touch head), chay-chay ko-fee-suh (touch shoulders)
Ko-fee say longa (touch knees), la-la chee-longa (touch feet)
Koo-me-lay-lay! (come up to standing and wave your hands all around)

Book:  Imogene’s Antlers by David Small

Rhyme:  Do your antlers hang high?
Do your antlers hang high, do they reach up to the sky?
Do they keep you up at night, do they make your way so tight?
Do they bump into the trees, do they make it hard for knees?
Do your antlers hang high?

Book:   A Birthday for Cow  by Jan Thomas

Closing Song:  Thank You Clap
My hands say thank you with a clap, clap, clap
My feet say thank you with a tap, tap, tap
Clap, clap, clap
Tap, tap, tap
And now we say goodbye!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment