Wednesday, March 19, 2014

We Were Liars










We Were Liars
By E. Lockhart
Delacorte, 2014
Reviewed from NetGalley
Audience: Gr 9 to 12
ISBN:  9780385741262
Publication Date: May 13, 2014


Cady is a Sinclair, part of a grand American family that summers on their own private island in the cape and has the kind of old money that keeps them afloat, despite no one really working anymore.  But this type of life has disillusioned the grandchildren, namely Cady, her two cousins, and their friend Gat.  Told in Cady's voice and various fairytale retellings, We Were Liars will leave readers breathless.

And that's all I can say.

Really-that's all.  I'm glad that I don't have to professionally review this book because it is so wrapped up in this one big event and you cannot give away that event.  But it will haunt you.  The realization of this event comes at you in waves.  Reading other reviews, I knew there was a bombshell, and I tried to guess it, but I didn't get it.  Not at all.

And that's all I can say.

Meanwhile, I can't help but feel very lucky with my librarian-reviewer-blogger position and the fact that I get some amazing free previews.  This is hands down the best book I have ever read as a galley, especially an e-galley.  If I had to wait like for the release of this book like a normal person, I would be in shambles.  Granted, I have to wait for the release for plenty of books like a normal person, but sometimes you get a gem that makes you feel especially lucky.  Chosen even.  Part of an exclusive club.  (I'll try to sneak you in past the doorman later.  The code word is sassy-pants.)

I apologize for making the wait for this book even more difficult than it already is, especially since I really can't tell you anything about it.  Oh, yes I can, there are golden retrievers everywhere.  Didn't see that coming, did you?  Just trust me that the wait will be worth it.

Happy (waiting?) Reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment