Monday, March 3, 2014

2015 ISLMA Award Master Lists



I have been so busy hibernating that I completely forgot that the Illinois School Library Media Association 2015 Award Lists were announced--more commonly known as the Monarch, Bluestem, and Caudill Awards.

But first, let's look back and see how I did with last year's list.

Monarch List:  Nailed it!  I read all 20 books and picked I Wanna a New Room by Karen Kaufman Orloff as my winner.

Bluestem List:  I did it!  I read all 20 books and picked Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo as my winner.

Caudill List:  Let's not talk about the Caudill List.  I only read three, and not because they were on the Caudill, because I wanted to.  So, dropped the ball, but I think that Wonder by R. J. Palacio is a very strong contender, mostly for the same reasons that I read it.  If a book is getting buzz and readers without being a Caudill, it is vastly more likely to win.

Even though it's only March (but feels like January), it's already time to start looking ahead to 2015!  (Librarians are horrible about living in the moment, by the way.  Everything we do has to be scheduled at least six months in advance.)  I'll link up to the 2015 award lists and tell you how I'm doing so far.

The 2015 Monarch List:  Books Read-0,  Books I'm Excited to Read- 4 (Creepy Carrots, The Day the Crayons Quite, A Little Book of Sloth, and Mo Willems Presents That is Not a Good Idea).  Outlook- Postive!  It's picture books and simple chapter books which equals a busy reader's jam!

The 2015 Bluestem List:  Books Read-7!! (Dunderheads, Frindle, Gregor, Liar & Spy, Lunch Lady, Ivan, Wonderstruck)  Books I'm Excited to Read-1, Shiloh (My Lucy is a beagle and I feel like I should read it for her).  Outlook-Pretty good.  Again, these are quicker books, and I'm already 1/3 of the way there.

The 2015 Caudill List:  Books Read-5 (Ivan, Tuesdays, Ungifted, Slob, Early-already more than last year!)  Books I'm Excited to Read-Um, maybe the Joan Bauer book and Legend.  Outlook-probably won't make it any farther than the five I've already read.

Now I just have to sit back and wait for the 2014 winners to be announced in under two weeks.  How are you doing on your award reading?  Anyone out there reading all the Newberys or Caldecotts?  Or maybe your school does it's own reader's choice award!  Let me know all about it.

Happy Reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment