Monday, September 23, 2013

I Read Banned Books



It's Banned Books Week!  It is absolutely amazing to see what books have been challenged and why.  Right now a big debate is raging over Eleanor and Park in Minnesota, and even though I'm not a fan of that book (and judging by the comments at a YALSA feedback panel at ALA, I'm not the only one) I would still never withhold it from readers.

Just flipping through a couple of challenged book lists over at the ALA website shows me that I am quite the daring reader!  Here's a list of all of the challenged books that I have read, divided into categories.  How many have you read?

Books for Youth:

And Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson and Peter Parnell
Captain Underpants Series by Dav Pilkey
The Giver by Lois Lowry
Harry Potter Series by J. K. Rowling
James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein
Little Black Sambo by Helen Bannerman
Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

Books for Young Adults:

Feed by M. T. Andersen
Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden
The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier
Go Ask Alice
The Goats by Brook Cole
The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton

The Classics: 
Note to students:  Trying to ban a book will not get you out of doing your homework!

Beloved by Toni Morrison
Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Lord of the Flies by William Golding
A Separate Peace by John Knowles
Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

That's my challenged book reading list.  I'm sure other books that I've read have been challenged, like The Hunger Games or Going Bovine, but these are the top offenders.  What challenged books have you read?

Happy (Banned) Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment