Thursday, August 22, 2013

Favorite Things: Fall

I've got the back-to-school blues pretty bad.  I always hated back to school time, except maybe when I was a librarian and the school year meant a brief reprieve from the screaming.  Now that I work at a university, the school year again fills me with dread.  But, the school year brings fall, and that's a good thing, so in true Sound of Music fashion (you know-raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens-Julie Andrews just sang that in your head, didn't she?), I'm going to list my favorite things about fall.

1.  Fashion!





Aren't sweaters everyone's favorite part of fall?  After a summer of sweltering, we are all ready for cozy, comfy sweaters.  And this foxy sweater from Old Navy is just too funny!  Plus, I love tall riding boots in fall and winter because, again, my toes are ready to go unseen after a whole summer on display.  I personally love scarves and wear them year round, but they are more necessary in fall.  I usually end up hiding behind mine at least once a day.  And those loafers!  I might be buying those.  They are casual enough to wear with jeans, but much nicer than my beat-up Pumas.  By the way, all of these things are available at Old Navy.  

2.  Food!

I'm dreaming of yummy chili, hot chocolate, and fresh s'mores!  Fall means more time out by the fire pit, and fire pits are only good for one thing to me-roasting marshmallows.  Or setting them on fire and then pealing back that charred layer and roasting them again.  Seeing how many times you could burn one marshmallow used to be a game when I was little.

3.  Football!  

I participated in the Ladies Leatherneck Football Academy again this year and loved it!  I am definitely looking forward to tailgating, but if I'm going to be happy at the game, I better remember blankets.

4.  Books!


Fall is a big time for new book releases and while it's true that I was able to score some previews at ALA this summer, there are a few that I am still waiting for, like Allegiant by Veronica Roth and The House of Hades by Rick Riordan.  

So while it's not quite fall yet, I can at least appreciate all the lovely things it will bring, even as I'm stuck in the grip of another back-to-school season.  

Happy  Reading!




No comments:

Post a Comment