Thursday, October 17, 2013

Bones: Skeletons and How They Work










Bones:  Skeletons and How They Work
Steven Jenkins
Scholastic Reference, 2010
2014 Bluestem Nominee
Audience:  Elementary School
ISBN:  9780545046513
Publication Date:  August 1, 2010

Blending information and creepiness, Bones is perfect for the young reader.  The function of bones is perfectly illustrated for both people and animals, and often comparisons are made between human bones and animal bones.  For instance, in one spread, a human arm, monkey arm, and fruit bat arm (or wing) are all shown.  Some bones are shown life-size, like the human hand or skull, while others are shown to scale.  Each time the bones is listed with the correct proportion and readers will love sizing their own body part to the skeletal figure.  With simple text and great illustrations, Steve Jenkins shows why he is a master of informative books for children.

I had so much fun with this book!  I immediately starting showing pictures to my dog, because there was a life-size dog rib shown, and judging by all the dog skeletons, I think he used a smaller dog like a beagle.  I was also completely sucked in to the life-size human bones, which are based on the average adult.  I placed my hand against the skeletal hand and compared my head to the skull.  It's a strangely interactive book.  

As I read the book, I randomly shouted facts at my husband and dog.  More than half the body's bones are found in the hands and feet--I think I knew that said my husband (Yeah right).  Giraffes and human have the same number of neck bones, seven.  Wow, says my husband, their necks are so much longer.  Exactly-that's why it's amazing!  See strangely interactive.

I love seeing cool, eye-candy filled information books on award lists.  They make up for all of the dry formula fiction that lines library shelves.  This has major Bluestem potential, so I'll just have to see where it lands tomorrow when I make my final picks.

It's true, I've finished all 20 Bluestem books!  Tomorrow I will unveil my predictions.  Which are quite scientific and nearly almost 100% accurate 43% of the time.  Figure out that math.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment