Monday, November 4, 2013

Trunk or Treat: Batty for Books


Last year it was owls, this year it was bats!  I went Batty for Books for Trunk or Treat at my church this year.  Unlike last year when I checked out owl (and assorted bird) books from the library, I used my personal collection this year.  But with the weather forecast being less than stellar, I decided not to risk my books, but instead used the dust jackets as decoration.


I decorated foam bat shapes from Oriental Trading to create my display.  Then, I strung them on yarn and used thumbtacks to secure them to the roof of my Subaru.  (My husband was not happy about that last step)  Then, I attached the duck jackets with blue sticky tack to make it look like the bats were flying away with my books.  


In addition to candy (because I'm not so weird), I gave out bookmarks from Demco and bat rings that I found at Wal-Mart.  They were both a hit and several kids told me that they needed a bookmark, so there are plenty of readers out there.  Also, the great bat-shaped treat bowls are from Wal-Mart too.  


It was a bad night for trick or treating, but a pretty great night for spooky Halloween activities.  It was a dark and stormy night.  Well, not exactly stormy, but dark, cold, wet, and windy.  Lovely right?  Who do I talk to in order to move Halloween to August?  I can start a petition if that will help!  

Anyway, I was only outside for a hour, which made all of this work kinda a bad return on investment, but the kids seemed to like it and they liked all the book covers.  


And a Halloween post just wouldn't be complete without an appearance from Scaredy Squirrel.  I was sure to follow his rules for Halloween completely and everyone at our event enjoyed a safe Halloween. Here's hoping that next year's weather is a little nicer!

How was your Halloween?  Did you brave the weather to trick or treat, or did you curl up by the fire with a good book?  I'm wishing I had done the later!

Happy Reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment