Friday, November 30, 2012

Competing for My Attention

How do you decide what to read next?  Right now, I have a lot of books competing for my attention:  my Goodreads list, Caudills, Monarchs and Bluestems that will be announced in under 4 months, review books which are piling up, big kid books for book club, and on and on.  Not to mention the fact that I have a full time job, dirty house, piles of laundry, a hubby and a puppy.  Kinda busy.

Fun fact:  I'm Employee of the Month!  Crazy--so I guess my reading is not cutting into my work.  It's really bad when your addictions start effecting other parts of your life, but I guess I'm good.

Anyway, I'm trying to stick to my Goodreads list, knock out some books that I've wanted to read for a while.  And I'm trying to sneak in more Middle Grade fiction, because those books fly and I get a great sense of accomplishment for finishing a book.  And to quote Scarlet O'Hara-as God as my witness, I will finish my reviews this weekend!  What, that's not how the saying goes?  Crud, do I have to read Gone with the Wind too?

Fun fact:  My parents saw Gone with the Wind on their very first date.  Isn't that adorable?  I think so.  Doug and I saw Die Hard 4 on our first date.  That just doesn't have the same kind of romantic feeling behind it.

Moving on.  You know what I look forward to most about travel?  Having several uninterrupted hours to read on a plane or train (sadly, I cannot read in the car, and I don't think Doug would like it if I made him listen to The Fault in Our Stars on CD).  Going up to Chicago on the train was wonderful, because it gave me nearly four hours each way to read.  And I love reading on the planes, and in airports.  All that wait time is perfect for reading!

Unfortunately, I do not have any big trips coming up, other than down to the Ozarks for Christmas-the fancy Ozarks, not the scary-banjo Ozarks-but that's a driving trip.  But, holidays are a perfect time to read while everyone else is in a food coma.  My Kindle is loaded down with galleys and other books, and right now I'm blowing through Road Trip by Gary Paulsen.  See, Middle Grade Fiction-that's where it's at!

Another unfortunate, I asked for books for Christmas.  That was half of my list, and Super Sticky Post-it Notes.  I can't get enough of those things!  My mom bought me shaped Super Sticky Post-it Notes for Thanks-Christ-Giving-Mas.  I'll have to let you know how that all went down later.  Great times.

The reading plan for the weekend:

1.  Reviews-I'm so close!!
2.  Road Trip by Gary Paulsen-easy peasy
3.  Scaredy Squirrel-my new BFF
4.  Skippyjon Jones-my nephew loves him, so I've gotta get on board
5.  Rebel Angels-if my lovely librarian let's me renew

Oh, and I have to help out with some church stuff, plan my Sunday School lesson, clean my house (it's scary), do laundry, decorate for Christmas, and test out my chili recipe on some unsuspecting friends.  Ready--BREAK!

Here's hoping I'm still together on Monday.

Happy Weekend and Happy Reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment