Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Scaredy Squirrel Prepares for Christmas


I wan't ready for Christmas until now.

Does Christmas make you anxious?  Does the thought of gift-giving and socializing render you catatonic?  Are you terrified of tinsel?  You are not alone, friend!  Scaredy Squirrel will teach you how to get through this dangerous holiday unscathed.  He will teach you how to safely wrap gifts, set a holiday table, properly place mistletoe and much more.  Plus, you'll learn how to build a gingerbread house to code (don't forget that building permit!).  Children and adults alike will love this snarky take on Christmas preparations.  It's the perfect remedy for overly sentimental Christmas books with plenty of humor and wit.

I must admit, I was not well acquainted with Scaredy Squirrel before this.  We had a mutual friend, Chester, also by Melanie Watt.  My problem with the Scaredy Squirrel books is that they are difficult for storytime.  They have so many little asides and notes that it makes it very difficult to read to a group.  But I am seeing major programing possibilities for a grade school program.  Something along the lines of Doomsday Preppers (a show which I honestly do not watch, but I have seen the commercials).  I think it would be a lot of fun to have a Scaredy Squirrel Christmas Program.  You could wrap presents with oven mitts, make a structurally sound gingerbread house, practice playing dead and safely decorate a Christmas tree.

As someone who is quite anxious, and loves a good snarky children's book, this was excellent.  I honestly want to buy it.  I'll settle for going to my local library and checking out all the available Scaredy Squirrel books instead.  I think that Scaredy Squirrel and I would be really good friends, as long as we each stay in our respective homes and talk on tin cans connected with string and never go outside, or at least have copious amounts of safety equipment when we do!

It's good to know that I'm not alone in my craziness.

Happy Reading!






No comments:

Post a Comment