Monday, April 22, 2013

Cozy Classics Part Two: Les Miserables and War and Peace


More Cozy Classics!  I reviewed the first two Cozy Classics a couple of months back, but I was anxiously awaiting these stories as well.  These board books retell a classic story using only 12 words and 12 pictures.  Talk about condensing!  And considering that I have not read either of these books, I really am like the target audience, except I won't be teething on these books.

I can only imagine that Les Miserables in 12 words is missing something, or maybe a lot of somethings.  You get a basic idea of good guy and bad guy, you definitely get the sadness, and some light points, but it is not as cohesive as Pride and Prejudice in 12 words.  I'm over thinking this.  The characters are darling felt dolls so kids will love it or chew it, one or the other.

On the other hand, I am a big fan of Tolstoy in 12 words.  I might have read War and Peace in high school-either that or Crime and Punishment, I honestly can't remember.  What I do remember is that Via in Wonder was reading War and Peace and she loved it.  (Yes I will be referring back to Wonder every day for the next month, read it already.)  You see this blooming love triangle, the war, and the conclusion.  I think  you could almost write your term paper on it.

According to Goodreads, there are two more Cozy Classics in the works:  Jane Eyre and Oliver Twist. Again two classics I have never read, but I can definitely find the time to read the Cozy Classic.  These books are a must for any literary snob parents.  Maybe I'll start giving these for baby shower gifts, with a Pigeon book hidden inside!  Just imagine a little baby reading their War and Peace with a Pigeon book hidden between the pages!  That image just might be cute enough to get me through the day!

Happy Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment