Friday, April 12, 2013

Hungry for a Book

I feel like I have hit a reading wall recently.  My to-read Kindle books don't interest me, my stack of physical books also lack appeal right now, and I just don't want to put a ton of books on hold at the library.  Plus, I don't know what I want to read even if I did put books on hold.  Even my Goodreads to-read list looks a little lackluster.

This happens to everyone I'm sure.  It's kinda like looking in your closet and finding nothing to wear.   Actually it's more like when you're hungry (or more likely, bored) and don't know what your hungry for.  You search the kitchen for something to eat, but since you don't even know what your looking for, you end up eating a granola bar or something and are completely unsatisfied.  It's not that the granola bar wasn't good, it's just not what you wanted.  (Actually in those cases you'd probably be better off taking a walk or doing some cleaning, because your bored, not hungry, but that's a problem for another day.)

I'm hungry for a book, but I don't know what type of book I want.  I feel like I have been reading a lot of realistic YA fiction lately.  I also think that I need a middle grade book to cleanse my palate and get me back to reading several books a week.  I need a confidence booster.  I need a book that is going to make me believe in humanity again.  I need a book like Liesl and Po, something that makes me feel bigger and brighter and happier just by reading it.


A quick browse of my Goodreads list and the 2014 Caudill List brought me to Wonder by R. J. Palacio.  I've been thinking about this book for a while.  I almost bought it back in September on a shopping trip, so I thought now was the perfect time to read it.  I planned to put it on hold at my library, but wonder of wonders (pun intended!) I could borrow it as a Kindle book!  The last Kindle book I borrowed from my library was Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, which I wasn't crazy about, but this way I get the instant gratification of a book that downloads in seconds without the cost of buying it.  Win!

Not only that, I found out that there are two other books that I have been longing to read that I can borrow straight to my Kindle:  Seraphina and Blood, Bones, and Butter.  That will cover the whole spectrum of middle grade to YA to adult book all without lifting a finger or paying a penny!

Check out this blurb from Wendy Darling on Goodreads:
"Wonder is one of those rare books that makes you want to hug everyone in it so tightly that they’ll have no doubt about how much you love them…and beyond that, it also makes you want to reach out and hug the whole world. It’s an upbeat, humorous, life-affirming story that deserves to be read—and it’s one that may just change its readers, too."

If that's true, then this is definitely the book for me.  I do want a book that will make me want to hug people.  Watch out-I'm a hugger!

Hopefully this will satisfy my book hunger.  Do you get that don't-know-what-to-read feeling?  How do you satisfy it?  Tell me your strategies for your next book selection.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment