Thursday, April 4, 2013

Golden Anniversary!

Today is my Golden Anniversary!  Sort of.

Four years ago today, I married my husband Doug.  So that means we're married 4 years on 4-4.  If this were a birthday, you'd call it a Golden Birthday, so I'm applying the same logic to our anniversary.  Works right?  Doug doesn't think so and he kinda wishes that I'd stop saying this, but we'll have to live to be OLD to reach the real Golden Anniversary (50 years, right?), so I'm keeping my Golden Anniversary.

I already told you how we met on my Engagement Day post, so let's pick up where that left off.

 

Doug and I started planning our big day and our big life together, and while some girls would be overly concerned about the dress, and the flowers, and the venue, I just kept saying over and over, "I just want to get married."  That was the most important part of my day-that Doug was mine when this whole thing was through.

So April 4, 2009 dawned bright and beautiful and we all scurried around getting ready and everything. Well scurried might not be a fair description.  I had a cold, and since we were getting married, I shared with Doug.  Love means sharing, people.  So both of us were as excited as you can be with a runny nose.  My mom actually stuffed Doug's jacket with kleenexes and cough drops, but we didn't need them.



Doug and I did the old-fashioned thing and didn't see each other before the ceremony, so I was hid away in the church basement and Doug was hid away in the pastor's office.  It's worth mentioning here that the church we were married in has been my family's church for generations.  My grandparents and parents were both married here.  And I was baptized and confirmed here.  It's kinda a special place.


Honestly my favorite moment was when I walked down the aisle.  I walked down the aisle to Home by Vanessa Carlton.  Google it or something it's beautiful.  Honestly the first time Doug played me that song, I knew I'd marry him.  Seriously, I was pretty smitten pretty fast.  Anyway, the pianist started playing Home, which was the processional music for the whole wedding party and dad says "It's too nice outside to be in church today.  Who wants to go fishing?" and my best friend Sara yells "I'll go fishing Mr. Torbeck!".  What support.  Then when it was just dad and I behind the heavy wooden doors waiting for the crescendo he says to me "You don't have to do this, Patrick can grab the car and we can go fishing", to which I replied "I'm going down that aisle with you or without you".  He knew I meant business.  And I'm happy to say that he walked me down the aisle like I'd always hoped.  I'm a daddy's girl-get over it!


When I got to the alter, Doug said to me-you look perfect.  How's a girl going to respond to that!  I couldn't kiss him yet, that would be batting out of order!  As you can tell, I was really jazzed to say my vows:  For better or worse, in sickness and in health (that got some laughs), for rain or shine, Dave or Busters.  (Not that part, but that's how we tell it).

OH-I put the ring on the wrong finger!  Oops.  And I had to force it, so I was kinda afraid it wasn't going to come off when we learned my mistake.  Every wedding as a screwup and that one wasn't so bad.  

Apparently, Doug and I kinda ran and skipped out of the church.  I don't remember that but we're strange so that entirely could have happened.  Then we were married!  Whoo!  Then we had a party! Double whoo!


Our wedding was at a golf course, and we couldn't have had a more beautiful day.  Okay, it was a little windy, which made it a little chilly, but look at that sunshine!

And since Doug is a dancing fool (and I encourage him) we danced the Jai Ho from Slumdog Millionaire.  That elicited a lot of laughter.  


Then, off to Lake of the Ozarks for four days to recover from our colds and the wedding, and then off to be happily married.  I have to say that it's been four pretty great years.  More ups than down, more laughter than tears, only a few major snafu's.  All in all, pretty great.  Totally worthy of a Golden Anniversary!  

Doug's a pretty good husband.  He puts up with a lot from me I know.  I ignore him for hours at a time to finish a book.  I make him crazy Pinterest recipes that nearly kill us both.  I have a tendency to fill our home with weird tchotchktes and candles and stuff.  But in return he gets a funny girl that loves him no matter what (I love him even when our yard has a huge pile of dirt in it.  It's cool-I'm embracing the chaos of it).

One Golden Anniversary down, one to go!






No comments:

Post a Comment