Thursday, May 30, 2013

Monarch Round-Up Part Two

I started my Monarch Round-Up yesterday with my first five randomly chosen Monarch Nominees.  Randomly chosen meaning the first ones that I could find through inter-library loan.

So today, my next five randomly chosen nominees.

Contestant Number Six:  Brothers at Bat by Audrey Vernick
Of the many all-brother baseball teams, this one ran the longest and has a great, heartwarming story that children and adults will enjoy.

My review:  I loved it.  It's a great baseball story that's not too long, which is surprisingly hard to find.

Odds of winning:  7-1






Contestant Number Seven:  Say Hello to Zorro! by Carter Goodrich
Mr. Bud has a great routine, but the addition of Zorro might not be such a great thing.

My review:  This quick book presents a simple plot with great illustrations.  My dog can relate to the schedule!

Odds of winning:  5-1





 Contestant Number Eight:  Swirl by Swirl by Joyce Sidman
Spirals are not only a beautiful shape but also perfect for protection and movement.

My review:  It's beautiful and short, great for storytime, but it is not engaging enough for readers to really gravitate toward.

Odds of winning:  20-1






Contestant Number Nine:  The Gingerbread Man Loose in the School by Laura Murray
A class makes a gingerbread man and leaves him to cool, but he wants to follow the kids and thus begins his adventure.

My review:  The rhyme didn't meter very well and the retelling lacked style.
But, despite being marginal, I think kids would like it.

Odds of winning:  10-1





Contestant Number 10:  11 Experiments That Failed by Jenny Offhill
No one can get into mischief like this character and now she has science to back her up.

My review:  I loved it.  I laughed out loud several times and I think that readers will relate to her logic and the outcomes.

Odds of winning:  3-1



And that's part two.  Hopefully parts three and four will come next week.  Although I have read several of the Monarchs before, since they are so short, I am going to review them again, so that means another trip to the library.  Not a bad way to spend a weekend!

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment