Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Lies that Bind


Kate attends an elite high school which is ruled by two secret societies, the Brotherhood and the Sisterhood.  These two groups have been at war ever since the school became integrated, but now this war has causalities.  Kate's best friend Grace died in a fire that was caused by the Brotherhood and now it seems like the Brotherhood has kidnapped Bethany, a mean girl leader of the Sisterhood.  Kate helps queen bee Taylor track down her friend while enlisting the help of her next door neighbor, boyfriend (but not for long), and secret crush.  Can Kate save another girl from the Brotherhood before it's too late?

Cue ominous music.

I just realized that I had an interesting experience with this book.  It was sent to me by the publisher, and I thought that this was the first book in a new series, but no, this is the second book in this series.  I feel like Grace's death and so much of the backstory make sense now.  I thought all of that just happened off screen and the reader had to accept it, but now I know that this all went down in another book.  However, I picked up pretty easily, so I would say that you don't necessarily have to read these books in order as the plot, characters, and setting are all pretty stock.

This uber-elite boarding school was set in Cleveland.  That's right, Cleveland.  I don't think old money and privilege when I think of Cleveland - I think of The Drew Carey Show.  And nothing says class like The Drew Carey show.  Right away, the school felt forced.  This wasn't some crazy elite boarding school, just a private school in a mid-western town that, to me at least, is not known for being highbrow.

I also feel like I've met these characters before.  Kate, the rebellious outsider that secretly wants to be part of the country club set, trying to solve the murder of her best friend at the hands of the cool kids.  Liam, the alternative boyfriend that wants Kate to walk away from all of this craziness.  Taylor, the queen bee who must reach out to the rebel Kate because she's the only one that will believe her.  Seth, funny boy-next-door that doesn't have a chance (but just wait until he gets that Silcon Valley job and the ladies will be lined up around the block).

Didn't I already watch this Lifetime movie?  Wasn't Candice Cameron in that one?

The Liar Society is meant for fans of Pretty Little Liars and The Lying Game I'm sure.  I have read one volume of The Lying Game and those girls were practically sociopaths.  The action is so much more intense and the characters are amped up too.  This book just does not live up to it's predecessors.

If you are looking for a book about extreme mean girls, read The Lying Game or better yet, Burn for Burn (just started the second in that series Fire with Fire and I can tell it's going to be good).  If you want a girl detective, check out Heist Society or the adorable Also Known As.  If you want secret societies run amok, watch The Skulls.

Remember that movie?  A little Paul Walker action before he made 29 Fast and Furious movies.  Really, we should all go watch Fast6 because Paul Walker has to eat!

Happy Reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment