Monday, June 10, 2013

The Red Pyramid-Again


It's not often that I re-read a book.  Mostly I only do that when the movie comes out or to brush up before the next book.  But as I've mentioned before, I really had a craving for The Kane Chronicles this year.  Not that it is the most amazing book ever, but mostly because I wanted some fun adventure for the summer.

As second readings go, it was pretty good.  Having read the trilogy, I did notice when they were setting up the action for later books.  Some parts did take me by surprise and I loved reading back over some of my favorite parts.  Like when Carter fights Leroy in the airport and everyone thinks the Set Animal is a rabid moose.  Good times.

I also took my time with this book.  I already knew how it ended-all of it actually-so unlike most plot-driven novels, I wasn't tempted to jump ahead.  I could actually take my time and savor this book and all it's odd little detours, like convincing the lion goddess that jalapeño-laced salsa was blood.

I'm so glad that I took the time to read something familiar (not The Familiars, that's totally different).  My mind is all over the place with VBS starting in one week and ALA the next week, but I knew that I could shut down and relax while Sadie and Carter battled terrible beasts.  Bone crushing crocodile gods are so calming.

Are you doing any re-reading lately?  Catching Fire is coming out soon-anybody brushing up?  How about other old favorites?  Given that I love watching reruns on TV, you would think that I would constantly have a re-read going.  Let me know what you think!

Happy Re-Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment