Tuesday, April 1, 2014

What to Expect When You're Expecting












What to Expect When You're Expecting
By Heidi Murkoff
Workman Publishing, 2008
Audience: Parents to Be
Publication Date: April 10, 2008
ISBN:  9780761148579

This is the real reason why very little is getting done on the blog right now.  I'm pregnant with my first little biscuit and due in July.  More on that in a minute, but first, let's talk about the book.

In case you're unfamiliar, What to Expect has become the end-all be-all for pregnant girls.  It breaks down your pregnancy by week and tells you what's going on, plus gives great advice without being terrifying.  I honestly pick up this book every couple days, just to find out if a symptom I have is normal or read ahead and find out what's coming up.  I've even read through the labor section, just to get a little information so I don't scare myself all at once.  

And unlike so many "mommy blogs" out there, What to Expect isn't about scaring you, and telling you the "truth" in terms that just make you want to crawl in bed.  Trust me, don't click on those links on Pinterest that claim to tell you the truth about pregnancy and parenting.  I'm convinced that the mommies behind those blogs just want to freak you out and haze you into parenthood.  More often than not, their blogs read like the rantings of unfulfilled women who are unhappy with their life choices.  Personally, I'm happy with my life choices, so I promise not to fill your head with pregnancy horror stories.  I'd much rather talk about books.

But not right now.  Right now I'll tell you how I'm doing with this little person.  So far I'm over the halfway point and doing great.  No morning sickness, no real cravings, no problems!  My biggest hurdles so far have been tiredness and nasal congestion.  The first couple months I was exhausted, but your body is doing a lot of work building this little biscuit and it's nest, so that's to be expected.  Then came the winter to kill all winters and I had colds on top of colds.  Bummer.  My nose still feels full and stuffy most of time, but again, I'm told that's pretty normal, so it's a weird symptom, but not a problematic one.  

The one thing that's crazy about all of this is the diet.  No deli meat means no turkey sandwiches and no Jimmy John's and that was kinda my life.  Also, sorry to say this, I was one of those weird girls that would regularly forget to eat, so being hungry and picking up extra calories every day has been a little difficult.  I know so many people out there that would like to slap me for saying that, but it's true.  You can't gorge yourself on chips and cupcakes, you have to think healthy, so it's been crazy amounts of yogurt and protein bars and fruit and milk.  All good stuff, but I have to really plan ahead on eating.  It's just different for me.  

Giving up caffeine and alcohol was no problem.  I'm not a big alcohol drinker anyway and I swing between coffee and green tea, so when I got pregnant, I went with green tea (and decaf lattes every now and then for a treat).  But the biggie is coming--no hot dogs!  All summer with no hot dogs!  That makes me sad.  

And just in case you think this is an April Fool's joke, here's the proof: 



That's me and my beagle Lucy curled up together last week.  See that baby bump, it's for real!  Someone commented that Lucy didn't look too happy, but she is just weird about getting her picture taken.  She was very cuddly and sweet moments before this photo was snapped.  She actually lays across my belly every night and I can't wait to see what happens when the baby really kicks her!

And that's why I've been a little slow on the blogging lately.  Between being all pregnant and stuff and reading for Booklist reviews, I haven't had much time for pleasure reading, other than Sweet Valley High of course.  You'll most likely see a lighter blog schedule from here on out, with more picture book reviews, but that's fine.  My life's changing, so this part of my life will change too.  

Stay tuned for more book reviews, pictures, and other news as I take on being a mom.  Plus, you know I'll be posting all about reading to my little person--it's already what I'm looking forward to most.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment