Wednesday, January 16, 2013

So many ideas!

So, yesterday's post was a little popular.  It's funny, just when I think that no one is reading this blog and it's safe to share family secrets, I write a post and it gets nearly 100 hits.  I guess that brings me back to one of the main Torbeck family rules, you don't have to tell everything you know.  (The other rule is also good, if you have to say you're helping, then your not helping.)  But a lot of people got a glimpse at my dad and were able to wish him a happy birthday so all is well.

Moving on.  I started my Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) Program Monday and I started brainstorming about my first assignment which is to create a story time for 2-5 year olds and incorporate one science and one math activity.  Easy-peasy.

Here's exactly how my thought process went:

Bats!  I could do a sonar demonstration and have the kids close their eyes and try to find me in the classroom, but that would lead to some crying children I'm sure, so table that.

Bugs!  I could have the kids build a bug on a flannel board one piece at a time and identify all of the parts!

Construction!  I could read Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site and have them build a structurally sound tower out of styrofoam cups.  Or toilet paper rolls.  Or kleenex boxes!

Three Little Pigs!  I could build three walls and have them blow them over and see which is the strongest.  We could wear plastic hardhats that said Three Little Pigs Construction.  We'll read great books and build with egg cartons!

Then my head exploded.  I haven't planned a story time in over two years and there is just so much that I want to do and it's only a four week class.  That means that I only get to plan four story times.

But the really crummy part of all of this is that even though I get to plan the story times, I don't actually get to use them.  Bummer.  I'm not working as a librarian.  Double bummer.  It's like being all dressed up with no where to go.  At least I have one outlet for all of this work--right here on Miss Tiff Reads.  You can benefit from my work.  I just ask that if you use something you found on this site, come back and tell me how it went so I can live vicariously through you.

Plus, only six months to Vacation Bible School.  You better believe that this year's VBS will include some STEM programming after all that I've learned.  Get ready for a bigger, better, more common core based VBS!  It will be great I promise, once I pick out a theme.  Details, details.

Happy Reading!




No comments:

Post a Comment