Thursday, September 20, 2012

Three Books, One Reader

If you follow me on Goodreads (and you should, by the way, because Goodreads is so much fun!  Find me by searching Tiffany Erickson), then you know that I am currently reading 3 books.  It's totally true.  Right now I am reading Splendors and Glooms, The Princess Academy, and Dash and Lily's Book of Dares.

Splendors and GloomsPrincess Academy (Princess Academy, #1)Dash & Lily's Book of Dares
 
To find out why I'm reading three books, let's look at the format.  I'm reading Splendors and Glooms in hardback, The Princess Academy on my phone via the Kindle app, and Dash and Lily's Book of Dares on my computer via NetGalley download.  So here is how my reading goes:  SG when I'm lounging at home, PA when I'm out and about (like at the high school football game this past weekend) and DLBD on my lunch break.

I started reading multiple books when I worked at the library, of course.  I typically had one book going at work, something that I was "required" to read for a program or reading list, one work book going at home, and a fun book going at home.  Reading multiple books got even easier with my Kindle and now that I have the Kindle app for my Droid, I have books with me everywhere! 

For the most part, this is a system that really works for me.  But there are some downfalls.  In order to read multiple books at a time, the book has to be engaging, but not so engrossing that it's all I want to read.  Then again, if a book is completely engrossing, I'll finish it in a day or two and be done.  But, as every reader knows, some books are hard to get into and demand your attention.  For instance, I've started The Scorpio Races twice, but haven't been able to make it past the first couple chapters.  I've read great things about that book, so I know that I'll just have to block some time, read five or more chapters in one sitting and just make it happen, but right now I can't dedicate that much time.

I haven't had a problem with forgetting book details or confusing the plots too often because when I read multiple books, I pick books that are very different.  SG is about puppeteers in the late 1800's, PA is about a mountain town in the 1700's (I would guess that's the time period) and DLBD is a modern YA book.  Plus, when I read multiples, it takes me longer to get through all the books and in a way, I actually end up remembering them all better.  Sometimes when I blow through books in a day, I forget what happened and it's like I never read the book at all.  For instance, I kept remembering this book where a prince uses the toast "Cheers m'dears", but I could not for the life of me remember it.  Turns out it was The Kneebone Boy, which I blew through in a day or two only a couple weeks before.  So, by reading three books at a time, it actually slows me down so I can enjoy and digest them all.

I switch up my reading alot, so after this three book adventure, I might be back to one books at a time, but since I read so much Children's and YA literature, I feel like I need to diversify more.  Who knows, but right now, this is the system that works for me.

Are you a one book-one reader kind of person, or do you like to read around?  Wow, this kinda makes me sound like a book slut.  I'm seeing Dash and Lily's Book of Dares behind Splendors and Glooms back, and having a fling with The Princess Academy.  My reading life is very complicated!

Happy Reading!




No comments:

Post a Comment