Wednesday, May 28, 2014

My First Baby Shower



More baby stuff.  Sorry for those of you that are still somehow under the impression that this is a book blog.  It will be again someday, but first, let's talk baby shower!

It's fitting that I spent my first unofficial Mother's Day weekend at a baby shower.  It was held at my parent's church, my home church, where I was baptized, confirmed, and married, and we had quite the turn out as you can tell from the table full of gifts in the above picture.  The women in attendance were mostly women that I've know all my life.  This is small country church where I'm related to practically everyone by blood if not by bond.  And they've been my parents lifelong friends and support, so it was very special.

It was a celebration of all things pink!  Little Ali Rose never had a chance at being a tomboy (although if my dad has anything to say about it, she will be!), and we received several darling outfits that will make her a very well-dressed baby.  Thankfully there was nothing too over the top, like some crazy ruffly dress or giant, flowery headband.  Mostly it was very practical and adorable stuff I can't wait to use.  

Here's a basic run down of what we received:  lots of diapers of varying sizes, safety equipment like latches and such, health products like wipes, lotions, detergent etc., several nice baby blankets, a Noah's Ark quilt, handmade afghan, play swing, two bathtubs (apparently she's going to be a dirty baby), changing pad, a manageable amount of toys, likely over 20 outfits (I'm going from memory here), diaper bag, and lots of love!


And this is what our car looked like for the drive home.  There's no doubt that we are having a girl!

I'd like to point out a couple of things here.  First, we didn't bring our Lucy beagle on this trip because we thought we might need the cargo space--we were right!  Second, I don't look pregnant in this picture at all!  And third, in the back of the shot, you'll see a pink bucket sticking out.  That was likely my husband's favorite gift.  It's actually from my dad.  There's a store called Rural King down home and the week before, you got 10% off everything you could put in that pink bucket.  Doug is already looking forward to a photo shoot with Ali Rose in the bucket.  And that's going to be her bucket, because apparently every baby needs a bucket.  

Now for a before and after of the nursery:

Before the shower:  Simple gray and purple walls, curtains that really need to be switched out, handmade rocking horse.


After the shower:  Holy Pinkness Batman!


By now I've cleared out the bags and boxes, washed and put away all the clothes, and made up the bed.  I still need curtains, art, and a chair, but it's getting there.  I'll likely put up a picture when it's all finished.  


Here's a picture of the growing, multi-generational family:  Doug and I, my parents Keith and Diane, and my mom's parent's Ray and Janet.  This will be my parent's second grandchild and first granddaughter, and my grandparents sixth great-grandchild and girl number 4.  We like the ladies over here!

Thank you to all of the loving families at Augsburg Lutheran Church!  Thank you for being so supportive of my family through the years, and thank you for always welcoming us back.  A church is more than a building, it's a community and family that you are always a part of, and I'm so blessed to have been raised at Augsburg.


No comments:

Post a Comment