Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Battle of the Kids Books


Blast it all!  I was so busy reading random books, trying to slog through my book club book, and stringing balloons that I forgot it was Battle of the Kids' Books time!!

Battle of the Kids' Books is a bracket published by School Library Journal matching up the top books of the year, then asking famous children's authors to pick the best book.  You can check out this year's bracket here.

I don't think that filling out the BKB bracket is quite as popular as the NCAA bracket, and it's actually too late now since the battles have begun, but it's still lots of fun to take a look.  Plus BKB has something that the NCAA tournament doesn't:  The Undead Winner!  Before the battles begin, fans vote on which book they would like to see come back from the dead if it gets eliminated.  Then that book faces off with the two finalists, and can sometimes come back to win it all!  Talk about a Cinderella story, well zombie Cinderella, but who wouldn't watch that movie?

Just think what that would be like in the NCAA tournament!  You could have rabid fans cast votes online for two undead teams, then those two teams play the finalists, then the winners of those games play the finals.  I think this is an excellent idea!  This way I have a better chance of seeing my Illini in the finals.  It's giving the tournament back to the fans.  Who do I have to talk to about this?

Anyway, I highly recommend that you check out the Battle of the Kids Books over at SLJ.  And while you are there, check out the brackets from 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012.

Happy Reading!





No comments:

Post a Comment