Monday, October 8, 2012

Listen to the Music

Music really is an amazing tool to use with children.  I found that in the daycare centers that I visited, singing really kept the children engaged, and you don't have to have a great voice to sing out.  I love using lots of music and books about music with children, and anytime I can work in the book Punk Farm by Jarrett Krosoczka, it's a huge bonus!



`Listen to the Music
Dance by the Light of the Moon 
Opening Song:  Bendable Stretchable by Georgiana Stewart

Opening Rhyme:  Dance Your Fingers
Dance your fingers up, dance your fingers down.
Dance your fingers to the side, dance them round and round.
Dance them on your shoulders, dance them on your head.
Dance them on your belly and now put them to bed.

Punk FarmBook:  Dance by the Light of the Moon by Joanne Ryder

Rhyme:  Dance Like Snowflakes
Dance like snowflakes, dance like snowflakes
In the air, in the air
Whirling, twirling snowflakes, whirling, twirling snowflakes
Everywhere, everywhere

Book:  Punk Farm on Tour by Jarrett J. Krosoczka

Song:  Chicken Dance
Sing Along Song 
Book:  Sing-a-long Song by JoAnn Early Macken

Rhyme:  Bumblebee, Bumblebee
Bumblebee, bumblebee, landing on my nose
Bumblebee, bumblebee, now he’s on my toes
On my arms, on my legs, on my elbows
Bumblebee, oh bumblebee, he lands and then he goes!

Book:  Jazzmatazz by Stephanie Calmenson
Jazzmatazz! 
Rhyme:  Sing with Me
Come along and sing with me, sing with me, sing with me
Come along and sing with me, on this lovely day!
Clap with me, tap your feet, stretch up high
Make a craft!

Craft:  TP Tube Rock Star
Adult Prep:
Step 1:  Collect toliet paper tubes (most librarians have a ready stock of these)
Step 2:  Cut pieces of construction paper to the appropriate size to fit all the way around the tube.
Step 3:  Cut little mitten shapes out of construction paper.
Step 4:  Cut small ovals for the face.
Step 5:  Using Word or Publisher, print out microphones, guitars, drumsticks, etc., for your rock star to hold, then cut them out.
Child assembly
Step 6:  Glue the large rectangle around the TP tube. 
Step 7:  Draw a face on the oval for a face and glue that to the TP tube.
Step 8:  Glue the hands and rock star accessories to the tube.
Step 9:  Glue on some funky hair and name your rock star.


No comments:

Post a Comment