Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Gifts for the Reader

Or, I'm Not Finished with The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle.  Pick your title!

I didn't finish up Charlotte Doyle last night because I had a Christmas party to attend for my church.  To the right you will notice an adorable owl gift bag that I crafted myself for the occasion.  Then one woman asked me how to open it, and I said-I'm afraid you'll have to decapitate him!  That part was not festive, but it was cute while it lasted!

I mentioned earlier that books dominate my Christmas list.  Specifically I'm asking for:  Blog, Inc by Joy Cho, Bossypants by Tina Fey and The Happiness Project and Happier at Home by Gretchen Rubin.  Do I get extra points for asking only for big-kid books?  Double points since they are all non-fiction?  Triple points just because?

But what should you get the readers on your list?  Let's find out!


For the Picture Book Crowd:  Scaredy Squirrel Prepares for Christmas by Melanie Watt.  Why?  It's hilarious.  And readers will love to talk back to this anxious little squirrel.  I really want a copy for myself, but I'm only asking for big kid books this year.  I have to keep my resolve!


For the Coloring Book Crowd:  Don't Let the Pigeon Finish This Activity Book! by Mo Willems and YOU!  This is the perfect book for all the Pigeon Lovers out there, myself included.  It's weird that I want this book too, isn't it?


For the Middle Reader:  Liesl and Po by Lauren Oliver.  This book is just magic!  I would highly recommend for the boy or girl in your life.  I loved it so much after reading it that I bought my own copy-it's that good.  And I bought it in hardcover-so truly-that good.


For the Junior High Reader:  Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld.  I'm exploring the back list for you since I realize that my junior high level reading is sorely lacking.  But this is still a great book.  Revisionist History with Steampunk flare and flying whales.  Plus, it's a series that has just wrapped up-so it already has built in potential for future gifts.


For the High Schooler:  Every Day by David Levithan.   You thought I'd say Days of Blood and Starlight here, didn't you?  Yes, I'm a fan girl, but I think that Every Day has more mass appeal.  Not to mention that it is one wonderful book.  If you have a high school reader on your hands, this book will be appreciated.  I just don't see any fault in this book.


For the Adult YA Reader:  The Diviners by Libba Bray.  Ha-fooled you again!  I think that The Diviners is more accessible to readers than my fan-girl pick.  The historical setting will draw you in, and the fantastical themes don't take a lot of work or imagination on the part of the reader.  It's all pretty easy to accept.  This could be under my Christmas tree too!


For the College Student Whose Brain Just Exploded From Finals:  Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson.  I've seen the looks on students faces as they emerge from finals.  It's not a good look.  They need some wildly inappropriate humor.  Re-establish yourself as the cool aunt by giving them this book.


For the Person Who Insists on Only Reading Adult Books:  The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.  Argh, these adult-book-only people, but here's a book that will fill their need for literature, but introduce some magic and whimsy into their lives.  Also, this is a great high school book, or college student book.  Pretty perfect for anyone, any occasion.


Finally, For The Person Who Has Everything:  Daughter of Smoke and Bone and Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor.  You had to know this was coming.  How could I not recommend these books as gifts?  Here's why this is the perfect gift for the person that has everything:  do they have Chimera, a Wishmonger, a necklace of animal teeth, leagues of Seraphim, and a blue-haired step-daughter that drives them crazy?  Okay, some might have that last one, but everything else is pretty unheard of, so give them the gift of adventure, without all the pesky vaccinations and travel restrictions.

So tell me, did I leave anything out?  Are there any reader-related gifts you would recommend?  Or maybe you're hoping that Santa shops at the bookstore too!

Happy Reading!!



No comments:

Post a Comment